After you have successfully completed the eyesight test and shown the examiner to the vehicle he will asked one ‘Tell me’ question then later in the test you will be asked one ‘Show me’ question as you are driving. One or both questions answered incorrectly will result in one driving fault (i.e. minor fault) being recorded.
The questions used by the examiner are as follows:
Tell me questions and answers
1) Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey?
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. The vehicle should not pull to one side.
2) Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended for this car tyre pressures and how tyre pressures should be checked?
Manufacturer’s guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold, don’t forget spare tyre, remember to refit valve caps.
3) Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash?
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye or top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. N.B. Some restraints might not be adjustable
4) Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
No cuts and bulges, 1.6mm of tread depth across the centre of the tyre; of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference
5) Tell me how you would check that the headlights & tail lights are working. (No need to exit vehicle)
Explain how you would operate the switch (turn on ignition if necessary), then walk around the vehicle (as this is a “Tell Me” question, there is no need to physically check the lights).
6) Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system
Warning light should illuminate if there is a fault with the anti-lock braking system
7) Tell me how you would check that the direction indicators are working?
Explain how you would operate the switch (turn on ignition if necessary), and then walk round vehicle (as this is a ‘tell me’ question, you don’t need to physically check the lights).
8) Tell me how you would check that the brake lights are working on this car?
Explain how you would operate the brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows, garage doors, or ask someone to help.
9) Tell me how you would check that the power assisted steering is working before starting a journey?
If the steering becomes heavy the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey two simple checks can be made. Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning.
10) Tell me how you would switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you would use it/them? (No need to exit vehicle, please don’t start the engine)
Explain how you would operate the switch (turn on dipped headlights and ignition if necessary). Check warning light is on.
11) Tell me how you switch your headlights from dipped to main beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on whilst inside the car?
Explain how you would operate the switch (with ignition or engine on if necessary), check with main beam warning light.
12) Open the bonnet and tell me how you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil?
Identify dipstick/oil level indicator, describe checking of oil level against the minimum/maximum markers only when engine is cold.
13) Open the bonnet and tell me how you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level?
Identify high/low level markings on header tank where fitted or radiator filler cap, and describe how to top up to correct level only when engine is not hot.
14) Open the bonnet and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid?
Identify reservoir, check level against high/low markings.
Show me questions and answers
1) Show me how you would clean the rear windscreen using the rear windscreen washer and wipers?
Operate control to wash and wipe the rear windscreen.
2) Show me how you would clean the front windscreen using the front windscreen washer and wipers?
Operate control to wash and wipe the front windscreen.
3) Show me how you would switch on your dipped headlights?
Operate switch, check with main beam warning light.
4) Show me how you would set the rear demister?
Show me how you would set the rear demister?
5) Show me how you would operate the horn?
Operate the horn.
6) Show me how you would demist the front windscreen?
Set all relevant controls including; fan, temperature, air direction / source and heated screen to clear windscreen and windows.
7) Show me how you would open and close the side window?
Operate the controls to open and close side windows.
Stewart’s Driving School offers a new and exciting way to learn to drive where the training is carefully planned, expertly delivered and affordable offering bespoke lesson plans to suit your lifestyle and availability.